Post-doctoral Fellow in Regional Urban Climate Modelling
The Cyprus Institute
he Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations and cross-disciplinary research and post graduate education. CyI, through its established research centers, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
Climate: Past, Present & Future (CL)
The selected candidate will further develop the Institute’s research on regional climate change modelling, with a focus on local scales and temperature extremes in the eastern Mediterranean and the Middle East/North Africa (MENA). The research will be carried out within the Atmosphere and Climate Division of Energy, Environment and Water Research Center (EEWRC) and will consist of dynamical downscaling of global climate model projections using limited area atmospheric and earth system models at high horizontal resolution, building on CyI’s previous work and contributing to the efforts of the CORDEX international program. This research is within the CELSIUS (“Projecting temperature climate extremes at regional to urban scale”) project, supported by the EXCELLENCE/1216 Call of the Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation (RPF) RESTART 2016-2020 programme. The appointment will be on a full time basis, initially for a fixed-term period, with the potential of renewal depending on performance and availability of funds.
- Optimising the WRF model physics in order to achieve a more realistic climate representation for the MENA region
- Exploiting the urban modules in WRF and utilise necessary datasets for city level, urban heat island permitting, simulations
- Assessing the temperature extremes of global climate models for the MENA
- Producing more reliable regional and local climate change projections for MENA through consecutive downscaling from regional to urban scales
- Assessing the projected heat extremes arising from the combined action of global warming and the urban heat island effect
- Transforming and transmitting the results to allow dissemination and exploitation for scientific and stakeholder use
- PhD degree in in Atmospheric Sciences
- At least three (3) years of research experience including PhD studies
- Relevant publications in peer-review scientific journals
- Relevant publications in peer-review Conference Proceedings
- Presentations in scientific conferences
- Experience or knowledge in numerical modelling and statistical analysis
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent knowledge of the English language both verbal and writing.
- Experience or knowledge in WRF model physics and urban modules
- Experience with project timelines and deliverables
- Experience with research student supervision
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard (http://jobboard.cyi.ac.cy/) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a letter of interest and a list of three references (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Dr Panos Hadjinicolaou, (email@example.com). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered. Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
Closing Date: Monday, October 29, 2018