Postdoctoral fellow in geodesy
Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)
Ocean Sciences (OS)
The Faculty of Science and Technology (REALTEK) at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) has a vacant two year Post Doctoral–position in geodesy.
The position is related to the SAR altimetry for sea-level rise and GRAVity field modeling in the Norwegian coastal zone (SARGRAV) project. SARGRAV will exploit new-generation SAR altimetry and determine a mean sea surface for the Norwegian coast, in combination with other sea-level observations. Several applications of the mean sea surface will then be investigated in detail, such as coastal marine gravity field determination, coastal sea-level change and vertical land motion due to postglacial rebound. The project will ultimately contribute to the realization of a seamless vertical reference frame on land and on sea.
SARGRAV is closely related to the recent Sea level, geoid and geodetic reference frame for sustainable development along the Norwegian coast (SEGREF) PhD project. The candidate will collaborate with REALTEK’s research group in geodesy, which, in recent years, has focused on regional gravity field, sea level, and ocean dynamics in the coastal zone. The group also has absolute and relative gravimetry instrumentation at its disposal. The candidate is expected to take part in, as well as plan and carry out field work with these and other observation platforms as necessary or possible. He/she will collaborate with international partners as well as with scientists from geodesy, remote sensing and oceanography on the institutional and national level.
The main purpose of the post-doctoral position is to qualify for work in high-level scientific positions. A PhD degree is required.
Important tasks will be:
- Data collection, evaluation and preparation
- Improvement of the altimetric sea surface products currently available at REALTEK by exploiting the latest coastal retrackers and correction models, and combine data from relevant new-generation altimetry missions (CryoSat-2, SARAL/AltiKa, Sentinel-3A/B)
- Apply the altimetric mean sea surface for modeling of the marine gravity field in the Norwegian coastal zone
- Combine long-term sea-level recorder time series with new-generation altimetry for the determination of sea-level rise and vertical land motion along the Norwegian coast
- Improve current geophysical models of postglacial rebound by incorporating alternative deglaciation histories and considering lateral variations in rheological assumptions
- Collaboration with the SEGREF PhD project
- Cooperation with national and international research partners
- Dissemination of scientific results
For more information on how to apply, please visit the external application web page, at https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/187544/postdoctoral-fellow-in-geodesy