Postdoctoral Investigator (m/f/d) In the area of Air-Sea Interaction
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht
Postdoctoral Investigator (m/f/d)
In the area of Air-Sea Interaction
Reference code: 50024056_2 – 2020/KO 5
Commencement date: as soon as possible
The place of employment is Geesthacht, Germany.
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is one of the 19 national institutions of the Hermann von Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres e.V. (HGF). Around 1,000 employees carry out basic research and development work in close cooperation with national and international research institutions, research-oriented clinics and economic and public institutions.
At the Institute of Coastal Research about 150 scientists research processes on the coast and interactions between the land, the sea and humans. The objective of the three sub-institutes “Biogeochemistry in Coastal Seas”, “Operational Systems” and “System Analysis and Modelling” is to create the scientific basis for sustainable development and future-oriented management of the coasts.
Within the Institute of Coastal Research, we are investigating the air-sea interaction in vicinity of the sea surface with focus on exchange processes induced by surface winds, waves and currents. For these investigations, the institute uses and develops a unique set of instruments operating on various platforms such as coastal and offshore towers, ships, floats and drones. With the HZG-developed coherent marine radars, particle image velocimetry, as well as video-based systems we are able to investigate the small-scale dynamical processes at the air-sea interface. One of the goals is to better understand and parameterize the energy and gas exchange processes between atmosphere and ocean.
We invite applications for a postdoctoral investigator position (m/f/d) in the department of Radar Hydrography at the Institute of Coastal Research with preferred starting date on September 1st, 2020. The position is (initially) limited to three years.
- scientific analysis of high-resolution observations of dynamic surface processes
- parameterisation of air-sea exchange processes
- implementation and testing of parameterisations
- planning of and participation in international research campaigns
- scientific publications and presentations
- working as an integral part of a motivated multidisciplinary team in the institute and with external partners
- doctoral degree in physical oceanography, engineering or related discipline
- excellent programming skills in Matlab, Python or similar language
- knowledge in image and signal processing
- good knowledge of wave dynamics
- excellent knowledge of processing and interpretation of observational data
- adequate academic publication record
- good communication skills in English
- high degree of creativity and flexibility
- knowledge of fluid dynamics
- knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems
- knowledge of handling big data sets
- willingness to travel and participate in research experiments
- desire to acquire solid communication skills in German
- multinational work environment with over 1,000 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. e. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector
Geesthacht is located 35 km southeast of Hamburg in Northern Germany. Its location combines proximity to Germany’s second largest city and its cultural offerings with easy access to numerous outdoor activities in a beautiful setting. We are a family-friendly employer and operate our own kindergarten on campus.
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
For inquiries, please contact
Dr. Jochen Horstmann (Jochen.Horstmann@hzg.de).
Interested? Then we are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (cover letter, CV, transcripts, certificates etc.) indicating the reference number 2020/KO 5.
Please start the online application process for this offered position via www.hzg.de category Career & Campus.
Closing date: August 16th, 2020
Contact: Erika Krüger