Faculty Positions in Earth Science and Engineering
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
Energy, Resources and the Environment (ERE)
Tectonics and Structural Geology (TS)
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
Jan 31, 2023
The KAUST Earth Science and Engineering (ErSE) program seeks faculty member candidates at any rank for these key areas:
- Structural Geology and/or Marine Geophysics, with expertise in quantitative field, computational and/or laboratory methods to work on topics related to offshore structure, resources, geothermal reservoirs and/or CO2 storage.
- Atmospheric Chemistry, Aerosols, and Air Quality, with focus on experimental, field and/or numerical modeling for climate and air quality research to study air pollution, dust, aerosol processes, and/or regional climate.
- Machine Learning in Geosciences, with expertise in acquiring, processing, understanding, analyzing, and/or inverting large data sets for geoscientific applications by using machine learning and other data-driven approaches.
The ErSE program plays a pivotal role in supporting KAUST’s strategic initiatives related to artificial intelligence, climate and livability, circular carbon, smart health and cybersecurity. Applicants who could strengthen the university in one or more of these initiative areas will be strongly considered.
Faculty of the ErSE program provide graduate education and conduct research covering a broad spectrum of geosciences. Research areas include applications of modern computational methods and machine learning to study problems associated with the atmosphere and ocean circulation, crustal deformation and earthquakes, seismic wave phenomena, oil exploration, reservoir modeling and subsurface phenomena. In addition, ErSE faculty study geological processes related to active volcanism, and the geology of Saudi Arabia and the Red Sea. These areas are enhanced through collaboration with some of the best geophysical and meteorological centers in the world, and through KAUST’s advanced central research facilities, including state-of-the-art laboratories, research vessels, and supercomputing and scientific visualization centers.
About the PSE Division and KAUST
The ErSE program belongs to the Physical Science and Engineering Division that comprises seven Degree Programs: Material Science and Engineering, Applied Physics, Earth Science and Engineering, Energy Resources and Petroleum Engineering, Chemical Science, Chemical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. These disciplines provide the foundation for our Division’s quest to address some of the major challenges that we face in the world today, including those related to energy and the environment. Specifically, our faculty members and their research teams work on topics as diverse as: photovoltaics, super capacitors, porous materials for carbon capture and membranes, clean combustion, atmospheric modeling, new polymers and composite for smart materials and structures.
KAUST is an international graduate research university dedicated to advancing science and technology through interdisciplinary research, education, and innovation. Located in Saudi Arabia, on the western shores of the Red Sea, KAUST offers superb research facilities, generous baseline research funding, and internationally competitive salaries, together with unmatched living conditions for individuals and families. More information about KAUST academic programs and research activities are available at:
A relevant Ph.D. degree. Proven track record in managing a research group as well as publishing high impact papers.
Teaching and service responsibilities
Commitment to high quality teaching at the graduate level, including two courses per academic year. Active service to KAUST on all aspects of academic life.
The University offers access to multiple sources of research funding to its Principal Investigators. The successful applicant should have an established record of publishing high impact papers, and is expected to create a thriving research program including engaging in national and international scientific collaborations.
Applicants are required to complete an online application form using the Interfolio online application system https://www.kaust.edu.sa/en/about/faculty-positions.
To prevent any delays in reviewing your application, you will need to upload the following materials:
- a cover letter, introducing your candidacy, and explicitly stating both the and the (Assistant, Associate, Full) that the candidate is applying for, is required. The rank must be consistent with the candidate experience,
- up-to-date curriculum vita which includes full publication list,
- statement of research interests,
- statement of teaching interests,
- a list of the names/affiliation and contact details of at least six potential referees,
- copies of most relevant publications (maximum of five),
- two citation reports (Web of Science and Scopus).
PLEASE NOTE: Only complete applications submitted through the online application system will be considered. Applications will be evaluated as soon as they are received, and will receive full consideration until the positions are filled.