Postdoc position in modeling catchment ecohydrology and geomorphology
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, EPFL
EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than 6,000 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of more than 16,000 people, including over 12,000 students and 4,000 researchers from more than 120 different countries.
Hydrological Sciences (HS)
The Catchment Hydrology and Geomorphology Lab (CHANGE) led by Prof. Sara Bonetti at EPFL in Sion is looking for a postdoctoral researcher in the area of ecohydrological modeling and/or geomorphology.
CHANGE is a new EPFL laboratory which seeks to improve current understanding and forecasting capabilities of multiple catchment processes both in natural and managed ecosystems. The main research themes of the Lab include landscape evolution and soil erosion, ecohydrological modeling, and sustainable use of soil and water resources.
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate with strong technical and analytical skills, a solid background in environmental science or engineering, and research interests in catchment science to join the Lab’s activity. Areas of interest include: i) relations between climate, vegetation, and landscape evolution, ii) analysis and modeling of river network dynamics, iii) modeling coupled ecohydrological and biogeochemical processes. Modeling and quantitative skills are a prerequisite for this position.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Perform original research in the area of ecohydrology and/or geomorphology.
- Lead and contribute to publications for high-impact journals.
- Contribute to broad Lab activities (including co-supervision of PhD and MSc students).
- You have (or are close to completing) a PhD in Environmental Sciences, Physics, or Engineering.
- You have strong computational and analytical skills, as well as experience handling large datasets.
- You have a strong publication record (relative to your career stage) in internationally leading journals.
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- A stimulating and international working environment in the new EPFL-Valais campus in Sion.
- Competitive salary and excellent working conditions.
- Opportunity to perform state-of-the-art research in one of the most dynamic scientific institutions in Europe.